Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A legal obligation.
- The onus is on the landlord to make sure the walls are protected from mildew.
- (uncountable) Burden of proof, onus probandi
- The onus is on those who disagree with my proposal to explain why.
1993, Dorothy Mermin, Godiva's Ride: Women of Letters in England, 1830-1880, pages 19:
- Geraldine evades the onus of ambition by subordinating it to the service of her family, and escapes the onus of sexuality by bodily mutilation
1977, Daniel Yergin, Shattered Peace: The Origins of the Cold War and the National Security State, pages 6:
- ... what might be called "onus-shifting" — each side trying to make a record and place blame on the other for the division of Europe and the Cold War itself.
- Responsibility; burden.
2000, Beatles; Brian Roylance, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, The Beatles Anthology, pages 174:
- The onus isn't on us to produce something great every time. The onus is on the public to decide whether they like it or not.
burden of proof
Third declension neuter.
- CLARKSON, James, Indo-European Word Formation: Proceedings from the International Conference, 2002