Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To bend back (light, etc.) from a surface.
- A mirror reflects the light that shines on it.
- (intransitive) To be bent back (light, etc.) from a surface.
- The moonlight reflected from the surface of water.
- (transitive) To mirror, or show the image of something.
- The shop window reflected his image as he walked past.
- (intransitive) To be mirrored.
- His image reflected from the shop window as he walked past.
- (transitive) To agree with; to closely follow.
- Entries in English dictionaries aim to reflect common usage.
- (transitive) To give evidence of someone's or something's character etc.
- The team's victory reflects the Captain's abilities.
- The teacher's ability reflects well on the school.
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page vii
- With fresh material, taxonomic conclusions are leavened by recognition that the material examined reflects the site it occupied; a herbarium packet gives one only a small fraction of the data desirable for sound conclusions. Herbarium material does not, indeed, allow one to extrapolate safely: what you see is what you get […]
- (intransitive) To think seriously; to ponder or consider.
- People do that sort of thing every day, without ever stopping to reflect on the consequences.
- 1985, Justin Richards, Option Lock, page 229:
- Not for the first time, he reflected that it was not so much the speeches that strained the nerves as the palaver that went with them.
- See also Thesaurus:ponder
to bend back from a surface
to be bent back from a surface
to mirror, or show the image of something
to be mirrored
to agree with; to closely follow
to give evidence of someone's or something's character etc.
to think seriously; to ponder or consider
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.