Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To make holy; to consecrate. Set aside for sacred or ceremonial use.
- (transitive) To free from sin; to purify.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), imprinted at London: By Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, 1 Corinthians 6:11:
- And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), imprinted at London: By Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, Ephesians 5:25-26:
- Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word.
- (transitive) To make acceptable or useful under religious law or practice.
- (transitive) To endorse with religious sanction.
to make holy