Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Experiencing sensation, thought, or feeling.
- Able to consciously perceive through the use of sense faculties.
- (chiefly science fiction) Possessing human-like awareness and intelligence.
- (able to perceive): insensate
experiencing sensation, perceiving, thinking, or feeling
science fiction: possessing human-like awareness, knowledge and intelligence
conscious or aware
sentient (plural sentients)
- Lifeform with the capability to feel sensation, such as pain.
- (chiefly science fiction) An intelligent, self-aware being.
- (self-aware being): See Thesaurus:sentient
- “sentient” in Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2007, →ISBN, pages 180–181.
- sentient adj. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project
- sentient n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project