Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Experiencing sensation, thought, or feeling.
- Synonym: sensate
- Able to consciously perceive through the use of sense faculties.
- Antonym: insensate
- (chiefly science fiction) Possessing human-like awareness and intelligence.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:self-aware
experiencing sensation, perceiving, thinking, or feeling
science fiction: possessing human-like awareness, knowledge and intelligence
conscious or aware
- Jeff Prucher, editor (2007) , “sentient”, in Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford, Oxfordshire; New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, →ISBN, pages 180–181
- Jesse Sheidlower, editor (2001–2021) , “sentient adj.”, in Historical Dictionary of Science Fiction.
sentient (plural sentients)
- Lifeform with the capability to feel sensation, such as pain.
- (chiefly science fiction) An intelligent, self-aware being.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:sentient
- “SENTIENT | Pronunciation in English”, in (Please provide the title of the work), Cambridge University Press, accessed 2020-09-18