- Experiencing sensation, thought, or feeling.
- Able to consciously perceive through the use of sense faculties.
- (chiefly in science fiction) Possessing human-like awareness and intelligence.
- (able to perceive): sensate
- (human-like awareness): For semantic relationships of this sense, see self-aware in the Thesaurus.
- (able to perceive): insensate
experiencing sensation, perceiving, thinking, or feeling
science fiction: possessing human-like awareness, knowledge and intelligence
conscious or aware
sentient (plural sentients)
- Lifeform with the capability to feel sensation, such as pain.
- (chiefly science fiction) An intelligent, self-aware being.
- “sentient” in Jeff Prucher, editor, Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford; New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, 2007, →ISBN, pages 180–181.
- sentient adj. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project
- sentient n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project