Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɒl.stɪs/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɑl.stɪs/, /ˈsɔl.stɪs/
solstice (plural solstices)
- One of the two points in the ecliptic at which the sun is furthest from the celestial equator. This corresponds to one of two days in the year when the day is either longest or shortest.
- 2010, Capt Sp Meek, The Solar Magnet:
- The point at which the sun is nearest to the south pole we call the winter solstice, and the opposite point, the summer solstice.
point where the earth stands at the extreme of its ellipsis around the sun
solstice m (plural solstices)
- “solstice” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).