Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Old French vermeillon (“vermilion”), from vermeil, from Latin vermiculus (“little worm”), from vermis (“worm”), ultimately in reference to Kermes vermilio, a type of scale insect used to make a crimson dye.
vermilion (plural vermilions)
- A vivid red synthetic pigment made of mercury sulfide.
- A vivid red or slightly orange colour.
- A type of red dye worn in the parting of the hair by married Hindu women.
- The red skin of the lips or its border with the skin of the face.
- Having a brilliant red colour.
- Having the color of the vermilion dye.
having a brilliant red colour
having the color of vermilion dye
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To color or paint vermilion.