Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- vermillion (considered a misspelling by some authorities)
vermilion (plural vermilions)
- A vivid red synthetic pigment made of mercury sulfide.
- A vivid red or slightly orange colour.
- 1749, John Cleland, Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure Part 3
- I, struggling faintly, could not help feeling what I could not grasp, a column of the whitest ivory, beautifully streak'd with blue veins, and carrying, fully uncapt, a head of the liveliest vermilion
- A type of red dye worn in the parting of the hair by married Hindu women.
- A red skin of the lip or its border with the skin of the face.
- Having a brilliant red colour.
- Having the color of the vermilion dye.
having a brilliant red colour
having the color of vermilion dye
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To color or paint vermilion.