Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- enPR: sĭ ʹ-nə-bär, IPA(key): /ˈsɪnəbɑɹ/
- (Australia) IPA(key): [ˈsɪ.nə.baː(ɹ)]
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): [ˈsɪ.nə.bɑː(ɹ)]
- (US) IPA(key): [ˈsɪ.nə.bɑɹ]
- A deep red mineral, mercuric sulfide, HgS; the principal ore of mercury; such ore used as the pigment vermilion.
- A bright red colour tinted with orange.
- (countable) A species of moth, Tyria jacobaeae, having red patches on its predominantly black wings.
2015, Norman Maclean, A Less Green and Pleasant Land, page 223:
- There are a few day-flying exceptions such as hummingbird hawk-moths, silver Ys, cinnabars, scarlet tigers and burnets but, in general, knowledge of moths lags behind that of butterflies.
- "Cinnabar Panacea"; the Elixir of Life.
- (moth): cinnabar moth
- Of a bright red colour tinted with orange.
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:cinnabar.
- (reds) red; blood red, brick red, burgundy, cardinal, carmine, carnation, cerise, cherry, cherry red, Chinese red, cinnabar, claret, crimson, damask, fire brick, fire engine red, flame, flamingo, fuchsia, garnet, geranium, gules, hot pink, incarnadine, Indian red, magenta, maroon, misty rose, nacarat, oxblood, pillar-box red, pink, Pompeian red, poppy, raspberry, red violet, rose, rouge, ruby, ruddy, salmon, sanguine, scarlet, shocking pink, stammel, strawberry, Turkey red, Venetian red, vermillion, vinaceous, vinous, violet red, wine (Category: en:Reds)