Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Ruby
- 1 English
- A clear, deep, red variety of corundum, valued as a precious stone.
2012 March 1, Lee A. Groat, “Gemstones”, in American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 128:
- Although there are dozens of different types of gems, among the best known and most important are diamond, ruby and sapphire, emerald and other gem forms of the mineral beryl, chrysoberyl, tanzanite, tsavorite, topaz and jade.
- (obsolete) A red spinel.
- A deep red colour.
- the natural ruby of your cheeks
- (uncountable, printing, Britain, dated) The size of type between pearl and nonpareil, standardized as 5½-point.
- A ruby hummer, a South American hummingbird, Clytolaema rubricauda.
- A red bird-of-paradise, Paradisaea rubra.
- (type size): (US) agate
type of gem
5½-point type — see agate
- (reds) red; blood red, brick red, burgundy, cardinal, carmine, carnation, cerise, cherry, cherry red, Chinese red, cinnabar, claret, crimson, damask, fire brick, fire engine red, flame, flamingo, fuchsia, garnet, geranium, gules, hot pink, incarnadine, Indian red, magenta, maroon, misty rose, nacarat, oxblood, pillar-box red, pink, Pompeian red, poppy, raspberry, red violet, rose, rouge, ruby, ruddy, salmon, sanguine, scarlet, shocking pink, stammel, strawberry, Turkey red, Venetian red, vermillion, vinaceous, vinous, violet red, wine (Category: en:Reds)
- Ruby on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Of a deep red colour.
- (transitive, poetic) To make red; to redden.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Alexander Pope to this entry?)
From the British 5.5-point font Ruby, used for annotations in printed documents.
ruby (plural rubies)