Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: slím
- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 Dutch
- 4 West Frisian
From Dutch slim (“bad, sly, clever”), from Middle Dutch slim (“bad, crooked”), from Proto-Germanic *slimbaz (“oblique, crooked”). Compare Middle High German slimp (“slanting, awry”) (German schlimm (“bad”)).
- Slender, thin.
- (of something abstract like a chance or margin) Very small, tiny.
- I'm afraid your chances are quite slim.
2011 January 15, Saj Chowdhury, “Man City 4 - 3 Wolves”, BBC:
- Wolves' debatable third in the last 10 minutes, with the ball only crossing the line by the slimmest of margins if at all, ensured a cracking finale, although City would have been left aggrieved had they let the win slip.
- (South Africa) Sly, crafty.
- See also Wikisaurus:scrawny
slim (plural slims)
- A type of cigarette substantially longer and thinner than normal cigarettes.
- I only smoke slims.
- (East Africa) AIDS, or the chronic wasting associated with its later stages.
2003, Charled F. Gilks, “HIV in the Developing World”, in David A. Warrell et al. editors, Oxford Textbook of Medicine, volume Volume 1, edition 4th ed., ISBN 0198570147, page 446:
- As in the West, only about 50 per cent of patients with slim fully investigated will have a putative pathogen identified.
- (slang, uncountable) Cocaine.
- (AIDS): Slim
Declension of slim
- German: schlimm (bad, terrible)