Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|to add; plus||oil; sly|
|simp. and trad.
|Literally: “to increase fuel”.|
It started to be used as an interjection in the '60s and '70s during the Macau Grand Prix when people start chanting "加油", urging the drivers to step on the gas pedal to increase speed.
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): kâ-yù
- Min Dong (BUC): gă-ìu
- Min Nan (POJ): ka-iû / kee-iû
- Wu (Wiktionary): ka (T1) + hhieu (T3)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou, mainstream Taiwanese, Xiamen)
- (Hokkien: Zhangzhou)
- to refuel
- to oil; to lubricate
- to accelerate; to hit the gas
- to make extra effort
- to cheer someone on
- come on!, go!
- This interjection is idiomatic. It is mainly used during sporting events, games or competitions, or just to encourage someone.
- (Sichuanese) 雄起