Jump to navigation Jump to search
|to add; plus||oil; sly|
|simp. and trad.
|Literally: “to increase fuel”.|
It started to be used as an interjection in the '60s and '70s during the Macau Grand Prix when people start chanting "加油", urging the drivers to step on the gas pedal to increase speed.
加⫽油 (verb-object) (intransitive)
- (literally) to oil; to lubricate
- (literally) to refuel
- (figuratively) to refuel to accelerate; to hit the gas
- (figuratively) to make extra effort; to work hard
- (figuratively) to cheer someone on
- come on!; go for it!; go!
- This interjection is idiomatic. It is mainly used during sporting events, games or competitions, or just to encourage someone.