Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: briton
Briton (plural Britons)
- An inhabitant of Great Britain
- 1740, James Thomson (lyrics), Thomas Arne (music), “Rule, Britannia!”:
- Rule, Britannia! rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves.
- A citizen of the United Kingdom
- The attack's victims included 3 Canadians, 2 Irishmen, and 1 Briton.
- (historical) A Celtic-speaking inhabitant of southern Great Britain at the time of the Roman conquest.
- (dated) A male inhabitant of Great Britain.
- (dated) A male citizen of the United Kingdom.
- Brit (colloquial), British (collective), Britisher (now chiefly Canada, US, India)
- (Celtic): Welshman
inhabitant of Great Britain
a Celtic inhabitant of southern Britain at the time of the Roman conquest
- Briton (historical: Celtic inhabitant of southern Britain at the time of the Roman conquest)