Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: for ever
- (UK) IPA(key): /fəˈɹɛvə(ɹ)/
- (US) IPA(key): /fəˈɹɛvɚ/, [fəˈɹɛvɚ], [fɚˈɛvɚ], [fɔɹˈɛvɚ]
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛvə(r)
forever (not comparable)
- (duration) For all time, for all eternity; for a lifetime; for an infinite amount of time.
- I shall love you forever.
- 1839, Denison Olmsted, A Compendium of Astronomy Page 95
- Secondly, When a body is once in motion it will continue to move forever, unless something stops it. When a ball is struck on the surface of the earth, the friction of the earth and the resistance of the air soon stop its motion.
- (duration, colloquial) For a very long time, 'an' eternity.
- We had to wait forever to get inside.
- (frequency) Constantly or frequently.
- You are forever nagging me.
- In the United Kingdom and most of the Commonwealth, the spelling for ever may be used instead of forever for the senses "for all time" and "for a long time". In Canada and the United States, generally only forever is used, regardless of sense.
- for good
- for ever more
- until Kingdom come
for all time, for all eternity; for an infinite amount of time
(colloquially) for a very long time
(colloquially) for an excessively long time
(colloquially) constantly or frequently
forever (plural forevers)
- An extremely long time.
2001 September, Michael Knisley, “The Braves' last stand”, in Sporting News, volume 225, number 36, page 12:
- It's been a fortnight of forevers since the Braves could count on a late-game comeback.
- 2007, Ruth O'Callaghan, Where acid has etched
- In the airport, holiday lovers kiss, mouth forevers, the usual argot betrays you. Desire makes love dull.
- (colloquial) a mythical time in the infinite future that will never come.
- Sure, I'd be happy to meet with you on the 12th of forever.
mythical time in the infinite future
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked