- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [ʔajŋ̟˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [ʔɛɲ˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [ʔan˧˧]
- Homophone: anh
Audio (Ho Chi Minh City) (file)
Sino-Vietnamese word from 英. As for the country name, contracted from Chinese 英國／英国 (Anh quốc, “United Kingdom”), from Chinese 英 (Anh) (as in Mandarin 英吉利 (Yīngjílì, Anh Cát Lợi, “England”) or 英格蘭／英格兰 (Yīnggélán, Anh Cách Lan, “England”)) + 國／国 (quốc, “country”).
- a unisex given name from Chinese
- United Kingdom (a country in Europe)
- Anh quốc
- United Kingdom
- Great Britain; Britain
- Vương quốc Liên hiệp Anh và Bắc Ai-len
- đội tuyển bóng đá Anh
- More often than not, the average Vietnamese person is not aware of the differences between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England, and they do not usually attempt to be, similarly to a Chinese person to 英國／英国 (Yīngguó) or a Japanese person to イギリス (Igirisu). But unlike in Chinese and Japanese, there seem to be no de facto distinguishing terms for those concepts in Vietnamese even in diplomatic contexts, although one may sometimes hear Anh Quốc be used for the United Kingdom.
- Due to this name awkwardly being homophonous with anh (“elder brother”), people who bear it may be preferably referred to also by their middle name, e.g. Tuấn Anh, Lan Anh.
- (literary, endearing) Alternative letter-case form of ; he/him, the young Ho Chi Minh
- Synonym: Người