Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: lebensraum
- (in German historical from the mid-nineteenth to mid-twentieth Centuries) Territories considered appropriate for German annexation, regarded as vital for the natural flourishing of the German race:
- (in early usage) an empire in the form of overseas colonies, in imitation of contemporary powers such as Britain and France.
- (in later usage, Nazism) a Großdeutschland obtained through Endoeuropean expansion, usually with a focus upon Drang nach Osten, and varying in its scope from the comparatively modest annexation of the Polish Border Strip to overlordship of the European continent by the conquest of Russian lands as far as the Urals.
- “Oxford English Dictionary [2nd Ed.; 1989] ” listed in the
Declension of Lebensraum
- English: Lebensraum
- Lebensraum in Duden online