User:Morgengave/Animals in Dutch
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
This page helps to make sure all entries are made.
- if the grammatical gender of the general word for the animal is feminine, the word is also used for the female animal. Examples: kat, gans, eend, koe. Alternatively, the the general word is masculine, the word is also used for the masculine animal. Examples: leeuw, hond, olifant.
- for many animals compound words starting with vrouwtjes- or wijfjes- can be used to refer to the female animal, or mannetjes- to refer to the male animal.
- animal: bij (f)
- group: imme (f), bijenzwerm (m), bijendrom (m)
- female: werkster (f), werkbij (f)
- queen: moer (f), bijenkoningin (f)
- male: dar (m), drone (m)
- nest: huif (f), bijennest (n), bijenkorf (m), bijenhuif (f), immenkorf (m), immenhuif (f)