Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To make suitable; to make to correspond; to fit or suit
- Synonym: proportion
- (transitive) To fit by alteration; to modify or remodel for a different purpose; to adjust
- to adapt a story for the stage
- to adapt an old machine to a new manufacture
- (transitive) To make by altering or fitting something else; to produce by change of form or character
- to bring out a play adapted from the French
- a word of an adapted form
- (intransitive) To make oneself comfortable to a new thing.
- They could not adapt to the new climate and so perished.
terms derived from adapt (verb)
terms related to adapt (verb)
to make suitable
to fit by alteration
to make by altering
to make oneself comfortable to a new thing
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- adapt in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- to adapt
- Eagle, Andy, ed. (2016) The Online Scots Dictionary, Scots Online.