Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- asswage (obsolete)
- (transitive) To lessen the intensity of, to mitigate or relieve (hunger, emotion, pain etc.).
- Refreshing winds the summer's heat assuage.
- to assuage the sorrows of a desolate old man
- the fount at which the panting mind assuages / her thirst of knowledge
- 1864 November 21, Abraham Lincoln (signed) or John Hay, letter to Mrs. Bixby in Boston
- I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost.
- (transitive) To pacify or soothe (someone).
- (intransitive, obsolete) To calm down, become less violent (of passion, hunger etc.); to subside, to abate.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- “assuage”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911
- assuage in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913