- to control
- (Paulista) IPA(key): /kõ.tɾo.ˈla(ɾ)/, /kõ.tɾo.ˈla(ɹ)/
- (South Brazil) IPA(key): /kõ.tɾo.ˈla(ɾ)/, /kõ.tɾo.ˈla(ɻ)/
- (transitive) to control (to determine the behaviour of)
Este dispositivo controla o motor.
- This device controls the motor.
Ele controla seus adversários.
- He controls his adversaries.
- (transitive) to keep under control
A polícia conseguiu controlar os hooligans.
- The police kept the hooligans under control.
- (transitive) to govern (to exercise sovereign authority)
O partido nazista controlou a Alemanha por uma década.
- The Nazi party governed Germany for a decade.
- (transitive, often takes a reflexive pronoun) to contain (to limit through restraint)
Controla sua raiva.
- Contain your anger.
- (transitive) to limit (not to allow to go beyond a certain bound)
Conseguimos controlar a inflação.
- We managed to limit inflation.
Conjugation of the Portuguese -ar verb controlar
- (to keep under control): conter, segurar
- (to govern): comandar, dirigir, governar
- (to contain): conter, reter
- (to limit): conter, limitar, segurar
- to control
1 Argentine and Uruguayan voseo prefers the tú form for the present subjunctive.
These forms are generated automatically and may not actually be used. Pronoun usage varies by region.