Jump to navigation Jump to search
drawer (plural drawers)
- An open-topped box that can be slid in and out of the cabinet that contains it, used for storing clothing or other articles.
- (graphical user interface) A side panel containing supplementary content.
open-topped box in a cabinet used for storing
drawer (plural drawers)
- Agent noun of draw; one who draws.
- 2012 August 28, Manny Fernandez, “Federal Court Finds Texas Voting Maps Discriminatory”, in NYTimes.com:
- Lawyers for Mr. Abbott argued that the maps were drawn to help Republicans maintain power but not to discriminate, and that drawers did not know where district offices were located.
- 2014 January 25, Gordon Rayner, “Wanted: discreet drawer of royal bath: Buckingham Palace is seeking a housekeeping assistant for H team – just don't volunteer to change the light bulbs [online version: Wanted: an enthusiastic and proactive individual to run the Queen’s bath, 24 January 2014]”, in The Daily Telegraph, page 9:
- Wanted: discreet drawer of royal bath [title] ... [T]he successful applicant for the role of "housekeeping assistant" mus also be prepared for rather less conventional tasks; such as running the Queen's bath and cleaning her priceless antiques.
- An artist who primarily makes drawings.
- (banking) One who writes a bank draft, check/cheque, or promissory note.
- A barman; a person who draws the beer from the taps.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, chapter XII, in The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling, volume (please specify |volume=I to VI), London: A[ndrew] Millar […], OCLC 928184292, book VII:
- When the good lieutenant applied himself to the door, he applied himself likewise to the bell; and the drawer immediately attending, he dispatched him for a file of musqueteers and a surgeon.
- 1863, Sheridan Le Fanu, The House by the Churchyard:
- He came down to the Pied Horse Inn, where I was a drawer, at Newmarket, twice.
- Someone who taps palm sap for making toddy.
- (mining, historical) A wagoner or person who pushes underground tubs.
- draughtsman (definition 2)
one who draws something
artist who primarily makes drawings
one who writes a bank draft, check/cheque or promissory note
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked