Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- fetich (dated [18th C.–present])
fetish (plural fetishes)
- Something which is believed to possess, contain, or cause spiritual or magical powers; an amulet or a talisman. [from the early 17th c.]
- Something sexual or nonsexual, such as an object or a part of the body, which arouses sexual desire or is necessary for one to reach full sexual satisfaction. [from the early 19th c.]
- I know a guy who has a foot fetish.
- (US) An irrational, or abnormal fixation or preoccupation. [from the 19th c.]
- 1933: We have a feeling that it must be "honest" work, because it is hard and disagreeable, and we have made a sort of fetish of manual work. -- George Orwell, Down and Out in Paris and London, Ch. XXII, pg. 117 (Harvest / Harcourt paperback edition).
something nonsexual which arouses sexual desire
something believed to possess spiritual or magical powers
irrational or abnormal fixation
fetish m (plural fetishes)