Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: heavyhanded
- Clumsy, awkward.
- Excessive, overdone.
- Do not be too heavy-handed with the salt.
- Simplistic, lacking subtlety or nuance.
2005, Nicholas Rombes, The Ramones' Ramones, ISBN 1441183272:
- ...punk “music has been, and still is, one of the most heavy-handed genres of music there is. Unfortunately the topics of such heavy-handed songs are almost always seeped in left wing propaganda, bumper sticker rallying calls and oversimplifications of otherwise complex topics."
- Overbearing; pushy and coercive.
- Extreme; unnecessarily forceful; harsh, oppressive, and cruel.
- (unnecessarily forceful): hardhanded, draconian
- (overbearing): coercive, dictatorial
- (simplistic): unsubtle, blunt
- (excessive): over the top
- (clumsy): ham-handed
overbearing; pushy and coercive