Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Clumsy, awkward.
2012, Margaret Powell, The Downstairs Cookbook, ISBN 1743299753:
- Some people say, 'I can't make pastry, I'm too heavy-handed.'
- Excessive, overdone.
2015, Suzanne Lenzer, Truly Madly Pizza, ISBN 1623362199:
- However, recently I got a little heavy-handed with the red pepper flakes.
- Do not be too heavy-handed with the salt.
- Simplistic, lacking subtlety or nuance.
2005, Nicholas Rombes, The Ramones' Ramones, ISBN 1441183272:
- ...punk “music has been, and still is, one of the most heavy-handed genres of music there is. Unfortunately the topics of such heavy-handed songs are almost always seeped in left wing propaganda, bumper sticker rallying calls and oversimplifications of otherwise complex topics."
- Overbearing; pushy and coercive.
2014, Jayne Ann Krentz, River Road, ISBN 034940156X:
- “Heavy-handed, huh? Is that by any chance your way of telling me that I'm a bad communicator?" "No, it's my way of telling you that you obviously haven't shaken the take-charge attitude."
- Extreme; unnecessarily forceful; harsh, oppressive, and cruel.
2015, John D. Visconti, Fetch More Dollars For Your Dog Training Business, ISBN 1617811653:
- I cite how ineffective heavy-handed training methods are due to the physiological state of high arousal and avoidance behaviors they cause in dogs.
- (unnecessarily forceful): hardhanded, draconian
- (overbearing): coercive, dictatorial
- (simplistic): unsubtle, blunt
- (excessive): over the top
- (clumsy): ham-handed
lacking subtlety or nuance
overbearing; pushy and coercive