put to bed
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To help someone, for example a child, go to bed
- (transitive, idiomatic, printing) To prepare a newspaper for printing
- (transitive, idiomatic, sports) To finalise the result, seal a win.
2010 December 28, Kevin Darling, “West Brom 1 - 3 Blackburn”, in BBC:
- Mame Diouf missed a chance to put the game to bed when he fired straight at Carson.
- (transitive, idiomatic) To dispel.
- I hope we can put those doubts to bed.
help someone go to bed