Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
remise (plural remises)
- (music) The repetition or return of the opening material later in a composition.
- (fencing) A renewal of a failed action, without withdrawing the arm.
- (historical) A house for covered carriages; a chaise house. "this technique implied the existence of garages specializing in "stage-automobile" operations, but I never could discover the remises he used " - Nabokov (lolita)
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Sterne to this entry?)
- (historical) A livery carriage of a kind superior to an ordinary fiacre; so called because kept in a remise.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Cooper to this entry?)
remise f (plural remises)
- delivery, handing over; handover
- remission; reduction
- discount, reduction
- deferment, postponement
From the verb remiser.
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of
- “remise” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
remise m (plural remises)