Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɪkt
- To restrain within boundaries; to limit; to confine
- After suffering diahrroea, the patient was restricted to a diet of rice, cold meat, and yoghurt.
2011 September 28, Jon Smith, “Valencia 1 - 1 Chelsea”, in BBC Sport:
- It was no less than Valencia deserved after dominating possession in the final 20 minutes although Chelsea defended resolutely and restricted the Spanish side to shooting from long range.
- (specifically, mathematics) To consider (a function) as defined on a subset of its original domain.
- If we restrict sine to , we can define its inverse.
to restrain within bounds
to consider (a function) as defined on a smaller domain
- (to restrain within bounds): limit, bound, circumscribe, withstrain, restrain, repress, curb, coerce
- (obsolete) Restricted.