Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Eye dialect spelling of the.
1861, Thomas Hughes, Tom Brown at Oxford:
- "The chaps as catches the big fishes, sir," went on the keeper, getting confidential, "is thay cussed night-line poachers."
- Eye dialect spelling of say, to indicate a speaker with a speech impediment such as a lisp.
- Obsolete spelling of
1506, Alexander Barclay, The Ship of Fools, Volume 1:
- Yet fynde I another sort almoste as bad as thay.
1566, John Knox, The Works of John Knox, Vol. 1 (of 6):
- But potent is he against whome thei faught; for when thay wicked war in greatast securitie, then begane God to schaw his anger.
1838, William Makepeace Thackeray, Memoirs of Mr. Charles J. Yellowplush:
- Law bless us! there was four of us on this stairkes, four as nice young men as you ever see: Mr. Bruffy's young man, Mr. Dawkinses, Mr. Blewitt's, and me--and we knew what our masters was about as well as thay did theirselfs.