Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Albanian
- 3 Czech
- 4 Italian
- 5 Latin
- 6 Norwegian
- 7 Swedish
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈlɑː.və/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈlɑɹ.və/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)və
- Homophone: lava (in non-rhotic accents)
- An early stage of growth for some insects and amphibians, in which after hatching from their egg, insects are wingless and resemble a caterpillar or grub, and amphibians lack limbs and ressemble fish.
- An animal in the aforementioned stage.
- A form of a recently born or hatched animal that is quite different from its adult stage.
Although the plural larvas is somewhat common, it is regarded by some as incorrect.
a stage of growth
an animal in such stage of growth
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- plural form of , larvae
declension of larva
larva f (plural larve)
- (grub): bruco
From Larēs (“guardian deities”).
- definite singular of larve
Conjugation of larva