Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- Rhymes: -ɒtəʊ
- (heraldry) A sentence, phrase, or word, forming part of an heraldic achievement.
- A sentence, phrase, or word, prefixed to an essay, discourse, chapter, canto, or the like, suggestive of its subject matter; a short, suggestive expression of a guiding principle; a maxim.
- "It was the motto of a bishop eminent for his piety and good works, ... Serve God, and be cheerful." -Addison.
- See also Wikisaurus:saying
Alternative forms 
- moto n (less common)
See also 
- krédo n
- A motto (sentence or a phrase with guiding principle).
- (heraldry) A motto.
Declension of motto (type valo)
motto m (plural motti)
- See もっと