Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- vasal (rare)
- Rhymes: -æsəl
- (historical) The grantee of a fief, feud, or fee; one who keeps land of a superior, and who vows fidelity and homage to him, normally a lord of a manor; a feudatory; a feudal tenant.
- A subject; a dependant; a servant; a slave.
Related terms 
grantee of a fief
vassal (not comparable)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- French: vassal m
- (transitive) To treat as a vassal or to reduce to the position of a vassal; to subject to control; to enslave.
- (transitive) To subordinate to someone or something.
- a vassal