Jump to navigation Jump to search
good; well; be fond offrom; self; oneselffrom; self; oneself; sincebecause of; for; tobecause of; for; to; act as; take...to be; to be; to do; to serve as; to become 's; him/her/it; this trad. (好自為之) 好 自 為 之 simp. (好自为之) 好 自 为 之 alternative forms 耗子尾汁 slang
Initially from Huainanzi – see quote below.
- (original meaning, literary, archaic) to like to do everything him/herself in one's own way
- 君人者不任能而好自為之，則智日困而自負其責也。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Huainanzi, 2nd century BCE
- Jūn rén zhě bù rèn néng ér hào zì wéi zhī, zé zhì rì kùn ér zì fù qí zé yě. [Pinyin]
- If the monarch does not appoint the capable but rather likes to handle the matters by himself, his intelligence will be increasingly exhausted and he will bear the consequences himself.
君人者不任能而好自为之，则智日困而自负其责也。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]