to love; affection; to be fond of; to like
|man; person; people|
- (Mainland China) spouse; husband or wife
- sweetheart; lover
- (literary) lovable person
In mainland China, 情人 (qíngrén, “lover”) usually refers to a partner in an extramarital relationship except in 情人節／情人节 (Qíngrénjié, “Valentine's Day”). For a person who loves, 愛人／爱人 (àirén, “lover”) is popular among elder people, while 戀人／恋人 (liànrén, “lover”) is popular among young people.
|Kanji in this term|
- a lover, a mistress
- Implies an extramarital relationship. Most often used by a man in reference to a woman.
- (archaic) a sweetheart, a loved one
- (dated) to love people in general
- Yoshida, Masatoshi et.al. Kodansha's Romanized Japanese-English Dictionary. Tokyo: Kodansha International (JPN), 1993. →ISBN.
|Hanja in this term|