Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|steamed bread||suff. for nouns; head|
- Cantonese (Jyutping): maan4 tau4
- Min Nan (POJ): bán-thô
- Wu (WT Romanisation): moe deu (T3)
- Min Nan
Steamed bun in China was called mantou in ancient times regardless of having filling or not. In Modern Chinese, it has two meanings:
- a Chinese plain steamed bun (without any filling)
- Filled steamed buns in Wu Chinese is still called mantou.
- 包子 (bāozi, “filled steamed bun”)
|Kanji in this term|
Note that in modern Chinese, 饅頭 means an unfilled bun; 包子 (bāozi) is the term for a filled bun.
- Manjū, a type of bun typically with bean paste filling
|Hanja in this word|