Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: bug
- the Bug River, flowing northwest 450 mi. between Belarus and Poland.
- the Bug River in the Ukraine, flowing 530 mi. to the Dnieper estuary.
From Middle High German buoc (“animal shoulder”), from Old High German buog (“animal shoulder”). The common contemporary meaning (“bow”) stems via German Low German from cognate Middle Low German bōch, from Old Saxon bōg.
- IPA(key): /buːk/ (standard)
- IPA(key): /buːx/ (northern and central Germany; becoming rare for this particular word)
- Rhymes: -uːk, -uːx
- Homophone: Buch (substandard)
declension of Bug
- the Bug river