From Old French de (“of, from”) + Isigny (a place in Calvados). The place name is from the Germanic personal name *Iso, combined with the Gaulish suffix -iacon, Latinized as -iniacu(m). In modern use, it is also derived from the name of Walt Disney, whose surname has the aforementioned origin.
- A surname.
- The Walt Disney Company, named after Walt Disney.
- Have you seen Disney's latest film?
- Any of the theme parks and vacation resorts operated by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
- We went to Disney with the kids this summer.
- 1990, Bill Berkowitz; Bill Sample (interviewee), Local Heroes, Lexington Books, →ISBN, page 261:
- And they included children down the seashore, they included going to the mountains; our first Disney child was not until 1978, no, ’77. […] I mean, when you say to somebody, “I’m going to give you a trip to Disney,” or “I’m going to buy you a Cabbage Patch doll,” and we’re doing this for you for absolutely nothing, that’s a reward in itself.
- 2008, Doug Stumpf, Confessions of a Wall Street Shoeshine Boy, HarperCollins, →ISBN, page 155:
- If they found any phone number from the U.S., anything, they’d deport us right away because we came here on excursion with a whole bunch of people that was going to visit Disney. That’s what everybody usually do: They say, We going to visit Disney, and we going to stay there for a week, and then we going to go back, but they end up staying.
- 2008, Flay Scott, The Inheritance, page 3:
- Angela asked if we could treat ourselves to a few days at Disney. […] The week included a couple of days in Disney, Dad’s 70th birthday and then the long trip home.
- 2009, Cleo Stinyard III, Sex, Love, & Consequences, →ISBN, page 213:
- I had decided to take them, my niece, and three nephews to Disney in Orlando, FL. I was going to try and make history. I was going to make an attempt at escorting more than four Dredd kids to Disney at once and live to tell about it.
|Inflection (stem in long/high vowel, front unrounded harmony)|
|Possessive forms of Disney|
|possessor||single possession||multiple possessions|
|1st person sing.||Disney-m||Disney-jeim|
|2nd person sing.||Disney-d||Disney-jeid|
|3rd person sing.||Disney-je||Disney-jei|
|1st person plural||Disney-nk||Disney-jeink|
|2nd person plural||Disney-tek||Disney-jeitek|
|3rd person plural||Disney-jük||Disney-jeik|
- Disney (Walt Disney Company)