Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- A violent onset or attack with physical means, for example blows, weapons, etc.
to make assault upon a man, a house, or a town
- The Spanish general prepared to renew the assault.
- Unshaken bears the assault / Of their most dreaded foe, the strong southwest.
- A violent onset or attack with moral weapons, for example words, arguments, appeals, and the like
- (criminal law) An attempt to commit battery: a violent attempt, or willful effort with force or violence, to do hurt to another, but without necessarily touching his person, as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner, or by striking at him and missing him.
- (singular only, law) The crime whose action is such an attempt.
- (tort law) An act that causes someone to apprehend imminent bodily harm.
- (singular only, law) The tort whose action is such an act.
- (fencing) A non-competitive combat between two fencers.
assault m (plural assauls)