Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
assault (plural assaults)
- A violent onset or attack with physical means, as blows, weapons, etc.; an onslaught; the rush or charge of an attacking force; onset; as, to make assault upon a man, a house, or a town.
- The Spanish general prepared to renew the assault.
- Unshaken bears the assault / Of their most dreaded foe, the strong southwest.
- A violent onset or attack with moral weapons, as words, arguments, appeals, and the like; as, to make an assault on the prerogatives of a prince, or on the constitution of a government.
- (criminal, law) An attempt to commit battery: a violent attempt, or willful effort with force or violence, to do hurt to another, but without necessarily touching his person, as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner, or by striking at him and missing him.
- (singular only, law) The crime whose action is such an attempt.
- (tort law) An act that causes someone to apprehend imminent bodily harm.
- (singular only, law) The tort whose action is such an act.
- (fencing) A non-competitive combat between two fencers.
a violent onset or attack
to attack, threaten or harass
assault m (plural assauls)