Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
elve (plural elves)
- (astronomy, meteorology) an upper atmospheric optical phenomena associated with thunderstorms, rapidly expanding disk-shaped regions of luminosity, lasting less than a thousandth of a second, which occur high above energetic cloud-to-ground lightning of positive or negative polarity
2006, Martin Füllekrug, Eugene A. Mareev, Michael J. Rycroft, Sprites, elves and intense lightning discharges:
- It is ikely that the first elve was recorded with the Space Shuttle low-light camera.
- Obsolete form of elf.
- Sir Olof he rode out at early day, / And so came he unto an Elve-dance gay.
- blue starter
- gigantic jet
- red sprite
- sprite halo
- transient luminous events
- upward lightning
- possessive third-person singular, singular possession of elv