Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
herald (plural heralds)
- A messenger, especially one bringing important news.
- The herald blew his trumpet and shouted that the King was dead.
- A harbinger, giving signs of things to come.
- Daffodils are heralds of Spring.
- (heraldry) An official whose speciality is heraldry, especially one between the ranks of pursuivant and king-of-arms.
- Rouge Dragon is a herald at the College of Arms.
- (entomology) A moth of the species Scoliopteryx libatrix.
a messenger, especially one bringing important news
a harbinger giving signs of things to come
an official whose speciality is heraldry
- (transitive) To proclaim or announce an event.
- Daffodils herald the Spring.
- (transitive, usually passive) To greet something with excitement; to hail.
- The film was heralded by critics.