Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To give public notice, especially for the first time; to make known
- Synonym: proclaim
- (Can we date this quote?) William Gilpin (1724-1804)
- Her [Queen Elizabeth’s] arrival was announced through the country by a peal of cannon from the ramparts.
- 2013 June 8, “Obama goes troll-hunting”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8839, page 55:
- The solitary, lumbering trolls of Scandinavian mythology would sometimes be turned to stone by exposure to sunlight. Barack Obama is hoping that several measures announced on June 4th will have a similarly paralysing effect on their modern incarnation, the patent troll.
- (transitive) To pronounce; to declare by judicial sentence.
to give public notice, or first notice of
to pronounce; declare by judicial sentence
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.