Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: prostate
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɒstɹeɪt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɑstɹeɪt/
- Hyphenation: pros‧trate
prostrate (not comparable)
- Lying flat, face-down.
- Emotionally devastated.
- Physically incapacitated from environmental exposure or debilitating disease.
- He was prostrate from the extreme heat.
- (botany) Trailing on the ground; procumbent.
- (lying flat, facedown): supine
lying flat, facedown
- (often reflexive) To lie flat or facedown.
- To throw oneself down in submission (also figurative).
- To cause to lie down, to flatten; (figuratively) to overcome or overpower.
- Prostrate and prostate are often confused, in spelling if not in meaning.
to lie flat or facedown
to throw oneself down in submission
to cause to lie down