Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: prostate
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɒstɹeɪt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɑstɹeɪt/
- Hyphenation: pros‧trate
prostrate (not comparable)
- Lying flat, face-down.
- (figuratively) Emotionally devastated.
- Physically incapacitated from environmental exposure or debilitating disease.
- He was prostrate from the extreme heat.
- (botany) Trailing on the ground; procumbent.
lying flat, facedown
- (often reflexive) To lie flat or face-down.
- (also figuratively) To throw oneself down in submission.
- To cause to lie down, to flatten.
- (figuratively) To overcome or overpower.
- Prostrate and prostate are often confused, in spelling if not in meaning.
to lie flat or face-down
to throw oneself down in submission
to cause to lie down