Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: réservation
- The act of reserving, withholding or keeping back.
- The committee authorised the reservation of funds.
- Something that is withheld or kept back.
- (often in the plural) A limiting qualification; a doubt.
- I have reservations about your intentions.
- (US) A tract of land set apart by the US government for the use of a Native American people; Indian reservation (compare Canadian reserve).
- An arrangement by which accommodation or transport arrangements are secured in advance.
- I have a hotel reservation in the name of Mr Smith.
- (Britain) The area which separates opposing lanes of traffic on a divided motorway or dual carriageway; see also central reservation.
- A vehicle crashed through the central reservation into the path of oncoming traffic.
- (India) The setting aside of a certain percentage of vacancies in government institutions for members of backward and underrepresented communities (defined primarily by caste and tribe).
- (advance arrangement): booking
- (central reservation, motorway lane separator): median, median strip
- (Indian reservation): reserve, res, rez
act of withholding
tract of land
arrangement by which something is secured in advance
area that separates opposing traffic lanes
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
reservation f (plural reservations)
- reservation (limiting qualification)