Jump to navigation Jump to search
shawl (plural shawls)
- A square or rectangular piece of cloth worn as a covering for the head, neck, and shoulders, typically by women. [from 1662]
- She wears her shawl when it's cold outside.
- A fold of wrinkled flesh under the lips and neck of a bloodhound, used in scenting.
a square piece of cloth worn as a covering for the head, neck, and shoulders
- (transitive) To wrap in a shawl.
- 1847 January – 1848 July, William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair. A Novel without a Hero, London: Bradbury and Evans, […], published 1848, OCLC 3174108:
- Rebecca was shawling her in an upper apartment , where these two friends had an opportunity for a little of that secret talking and conspiring which forms the delight of female life