Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
socket (plural sockets)
- (mechanics) An opening into which a plug or other connecting part is designed to fit (e.g. a light bulb socket).
- (anatomy) A hollow into a bone which a part fits, such as an eye, or another bone, in the case of a joint.
- (computing) One endpoint of a two-way communication link, used for interprocess communication across a network.
- (computing) One endpoint of a two-way named pipe on Unix and Unix-like systems, used for interprocess communication.
hollow in a bone
computing interprocess communication channel
- To place or fit in a socket.