Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See Thesaurus:lo
Literally, “look there”. From vois (“see!, look!”), second-person singular imperative of voir (“to see, to look”) and là (“there”).
- there (it) is
- 1953, Samuel Beckett, En attendant Godot:
- Voilà l’homme tout entier, s’en prenant à sa chaussure alors que c’est son pied le coupable.
- There is man in his entirety, blaming his shoe when his foot is guilty.
- here (it) is
- Voilà le fromage.
- Here's the cheese.
- Voilà ce qu'on va faire ensuite.
- Here's what we are going to do next.
- that is
- Voilà ce que je lui ai demandé, et voici sa réponse : « ... »
- That's what I asked her and this is her answer: "..."
- voilà is a defective verb. Its only conjugation is in the present indicative tense, even though it can appear in phrases that imply another tense.
- It is mainly used to introduce a slightly distant person or object, in contrast to voici which is used to designate a person or object near the speaker.
- In face-to-face conversations where both participants can see the subject of the conversation, voilà often supersedes voici (thus its additional definition: Here is).
- “voilà”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
Unadapted borrowing from French voilà.
- English terms borrowed from French
- English terms derived from French
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English interjections
- English terms spelled with À
- English terms spelled with ◌̀
- French 2-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French terms with audio links
- French terms with homophones
- French lemmas
- French verbs
- French terms with quotations
- French terms with usage examples
- Italian lemmas
- Italian interjections
- Polish terms borrowed from French
- Polish unadapted borrowings from French
- Polish terms derived from French
- Polish 2-syllable words
- Polish terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:Polish/ala/2 syllables
- Polish lemmas
- Polish interjections
- Polish terms spelled with À
- Polish terms spelled with V
- Polish terms spelled with ◌̀