Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To the side; of or pertaining to the side.
- Instead of a promotion, I opted for a lateral move to a similar position in the marketing department.
- (anatomy) Pertaining to the left or right of the body; further from the midline.
- The medial side of the knee faces the other knee, while the outer side of the knee is lateral.
- A fish senses changes in hydrodynamic pressure with its lateral line.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) (botany) Pertaining to the girth of an organ, rather than its thickness or length.
- (linguistics) Pertaining to sounds that are generated by partially blocking the egress of the airstream with the tip of the tongue touching the alveolar ridge, leaving space on one or both sides of the occlusion for the air passage.
Coordinate terms 
- (human anatomy direction adjectives) anterior, distal, dorsal, lateral, medial, posterior, proximal, ventral (Category: en:Medicine) 
of or pertaining to the side
pertaining to the left or right of the body
botany: pertaining to the girth of an organ
lateral (plural laterals)
- an object, such as a passage or a protrusion, that is situated on the side of something else
- (linguistics) a sound produced through lateral pronunciation (such as /l/ in lateral)
- (American football) a lateral pass
See also 
- To move (oneself or something) in a lateral direction
- (American football) To execute a lateral pass
Related terms 
- lateral in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- lateral in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
lateral m and f (plural laterales)