Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (proscribed) A dish, based on Japanese cuisine, the chief ingredient of which is raw fish; sashimi.
- I'd like to try sushi, but the raw meat freaks me out.
- A Japanese dish made of small portions of sticky white rice flavoured with vinegar, usually wrapped in seaweed and filled or topped with vegetables or sashimi.
- For the vegetarians, she served cucumber sushi.
As the word ultimately derives from a Japanese term for rice, some authorities proscribe its use to describe the fish on its own.
- ^ 2007. Heiter, Celeste. The Sushi Book, page 11.
sushi m (invariable)
- rōmaji reading of
sushi m (plural sushis)