Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
thesis (plural theses)
- A statement supported by arguments.
- A written essay, especially one submitted for a university degree.
- I told them of the grave, becoming, and sublime deportment they should assume upon this mystical occasion, and read them two homilies and a thesis of my own composing, to prepare them.
- (logic) An affirmation, or distinction from a supposition or hypothesis.
- (music) The accented part of the measure, expressed by the downward beat; the opposite of arsis.
- (poetry) The depression of the voice in pronouncing the syllables of a word.
- (poetry) The part of the metrical foot upon which such a depression falls.
statement supported by arguments
written essay submitted for a university degree
- thesis in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- thesis in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
thesis f (genitive thesis); third declension