鶇 (radical 196 鳥+8, 19 strokes, cangjie input 木田竹日火 (DWHAF), four-corner 57927, composition ⿰東鳥)
- KangXi: page 1493, character 21
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 47054
- Dae Jaweon: page 2023, character 29
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 7, page 4639, character 11
- Unihan data for U+9D87
(uncommon “Hyōgai” kanji)
- a thrush (bird)
From the 連用形 (ren'yōkei, “continuative or stem form”) of verb 噤む (tsugumu, “to shut up, to become quiet”), from the way the birds cease singing after summer has ended.
- 鶫 (kokuji: Japanese-only)
鶇 (hiragana つぐみ, katakana ツグミ, rōmaji tsugumi)
- a thrush: a bird of genus Turdus
- (more specifically) a dusky thrush: Turdus eunomus
As with many terms that name organisms, this term is often spelled in katakana, especially in biological contexts, as ツグミ.