From Proto-Indo-European *bʰéwH-ti, e-grade of *bʰuH- (“to grow, become, come into being, appear”). Cognate with Latin fuī (“have been”, verb), Latin futūrus (“becoming, imminent, future”), Sanskrit भवति (bhávati).
This verb is suppletive. The past is conjugated with the strong class 5 stem wes-, the remainder with an irregular stem beu-.
For past tense and participle forms, see the identical forms at *wesaną.
- *beuną (infinitive)
- *biumi (1st person singular present) (see there for further descendants)
- *biusi (2nd person singular present) (see there for further descendants)
- *biuþi (3rd person singular present)
- *biunþi (3rd person plural present)
- *beu (2nd person singular imperative)
- *beuþ (2nd person plural imperative)