Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Receiving others kindly and conversing with them in a free and friendly manner; friendly, courteous, sociable.
- 1912, James Burrill Angell, “chapter ix Mission To The Ottoman Empire”, in The Reminiscences Of James Burrill Angell:
- Furthermore, I may say, that the Sultan was always most affable to me in my interviews with him, even when I had to discuss some missionary questions. In fact, I never saw any traces of the difficulties which Mr. Terrell reported.
- Mild; benign.
- 1998, Alexia Maria Kosmider, Tricky Tribal Discourse, page 84:
- During more affable weather, the four friends congregate outside, sometimes leaning their hickory chairs against a "catapa" tree […]
- (friendly, courteous): accessible, civil, complaisant, courteous, friendly, gracious, personable
- (mild, benign): benign, mild, warm
friendly, courteous, sociable
affable (plural affables)