Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines) The plant Solanum melongena.
- (Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines) The edible fruit of the Solanum melongena: an aubergine.
- (Canada, US) A dark purple color, like that of the skin of this fruit.
- (US, slang, derogatory, offensive) A black person (used mainly by Italian-Americans).
- 1993, Quentin Tarantino, True Romance, spoken by Clifford Worley (Dennis Hopper):
- Hey. Yeah. And, and your great-great-great-great grandmother fucked a nigger, ho, ho, yeah, and she had a half-nigger kid… now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying? 'Cause you, you're part eggplant.
- 2004, Wendy Coakley-Thompson, Back to Life:
- "Why am I not surprised?" This was the limit. "You know, I'm black enough for his family to yell eggplant-this and nigger-that at me," she said.
- 2006, Jerome Charyn, Raised by wolves: the turbulent art and times of Quentin Tarantino:
- What else can he do? But Hopper continues his riff. "Sicilians still carry that nigger gene . . . Your ancestors are niggers. You're part eggplant."
- (skateboarding, snowboarding) A 180 backside rotated invert in which the front hand is planted on the lip of the halfpipe wall
- (the plant or its fruit): aubergine (UK, Ireland), brinjal (India, Malaysia, Singapore), baingan (India), brown jolly (Caribbean, dated), baigan (Trinidad and Tobago, India), bhaigan (Trinidad and Tobago, India), bangun (India)
- (the fruit): melongene (Caribbean)