- (uncountable) The property of having grace, elegance, skill, or balance.
- (uncountable) Skill in handling of a situation.
- (countable) An adroit manoeuvre.
- (countable, bridge) A technique which allows one to promote tricks based on a favorable position of one or more cards in the hands of the opponent.
1. extreme delicacy or subtlety in action, performance, skill, discrimination, taste, etc. 2. skill in handling a difficult or highly sensitive situation; adroit and artful management: exceptional diplomatic finesse. 3. a trick, artifice, or stratagem.
- (transitive, intransitive, card games) To play (a card) as a finesse (see noun sense above).
- (transitive) To handle or manage carefully or skillfully.
- (transitive) To evade.
finesse f (plural finesses)
- fineness (of hair, writing etc.)
- keenness, sharpness (of blade)
- fineness, delicacy; slenderness
- perceptiveness; sensitivity, finesse